What do photos mean to you? To be honest, I hated photos. Growing up photos were so painful and boring, having to take them, sitting perfectly while my dad tried to figure out how to work the camera, my mom telling us to behave and sit still. At any age of 12 or below what kid wants to go through that. And then my teen years, any excuse to get out of them was always the goal. Maybe if I look mad or upset they won’t want to take my picture. It was all just too much. And if I hated being in that moment why would I want it captured forever.
So now as a person who loves photography I have a few tips.
- Never force your kids to take pictures
- Find a want
- some kids love the attention
- some just want a reward (My kids love popcorn)
- Find a want
- Make it quick
- No one looks good holding a pose after about the first 3 seconds and after that it is all down hill
- Get everything ready before you pose them
- Camera/Cell phone out
- Take a practice shot (digital is great)
- Make it about them
- You are taking that picture to capture the moment don’t force one
- If they are silly that is awesome, if they are confused that is awesome, if they have natural looking expression that is awesome, that photo may not be one you print on the wall, it will be the one that melts your heart when you are wandering down memory lane.
- When you are ready, call out to them and hope for the smile, or even something better, and snap away.
Now for the ones that you do print and decorate your home with I would recommend a professional. If not me, someone. This is what we do, we do all the things above and make it look artistic, beautiful, and special all at the same time. If you only do it once a year, please make sure you do it. Those photos you purchase and print will be simple everyday reminders of what a great life you really have.